Eggbound Hen

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
I’ve had three egg bound hens before. All pulled through and laid their eggs within a day. I found my hen, Reid, lethargic yesterday and not too interested in food with poop dripping down her vent. So I took her in, gave her a bath, gave her tums, and let her rest. She still hasn’t laid the egg and seems more weak. What else can I do?

Attachments

• 09332AD1-08FB-4AC0-98E8-35196DAE1F16.jpeg
    09332AD1-08FB-4AC0-98E8-35196DAE1F16.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 9
Poor baby. So sorry nobody has answered. How is your hen? You can provide moist heat with a slightly damp towel over a heat pad, too, so you don’t have to keep getting her wet. I would give her supplemental calcium asap. Calcium citrate (for humans) with vitamin D3 would be ideal, but even crushed tums can help. You can hide it in wet cat food, crush it over a little scrambled egg, or even wet it into a paste and spread it on a tiny piece of bread... whatever her irresistible treat is. Are you certain there is an egg? Some people also choose to lubricate the cloaca. Please let us know how she is doing.

Glove up cover your finger with lubricant. Put some lube all over her vent. Gently insert your finger. See if you can circle the egg end with your finger. Sometimes this is enough to help her ease the egg out.

Back
Top Bottom