Eggbound on Bactrim?

Update: Talked to the vet and decided to change for Flagyl instead. Also she has lost so much weight, not eating, so I started to force her boiled egg.
And she got a little better and even sent out with her friends, interesting in trying little Apple and even a worm!
However now it’s been 3 days and she is not eating enough.
And her poop is still watery and bright green. The vet is baffled when i describe the colour.
Can it be the clue to the cause of her illness? I’m afraid her sister is starting to have greenish and lose poop as well now. Is there a risk it being salmonella? Here the wild birds can have it. Last winter a lot of small wild birds where found dead around in the neighbourhood (I live in Sweden)

Last edited:
Most vets can test the poop for worms, coccidiosis, and bacteria, which might be a good idea. Since she has been on antibiotics for a bit of time, a probiotic would be good to give her for a few days now and after the Flagyl. Her gut bacteria is all messed up right now. Plain yogurt with live cultures (a small amount daily mixed with some food) may be helpful. Experiment with some cooked egg, moist chicken feed, tuna or salmon, liver, or even moist canned cat food, just to coax her to eat. I add a little water to everything to get more fluids into a sick chicken. Poultry Vitamins or human Vitamin B complex might help her appetite.

Unfortunately it may take until after death to find a cause of her illness. There can be a couple of reasons for fluid inside the abdomen, such as ascites from liver or heart failure, oviduct or liver cancer, or sometimes from egg yolk peritonitis. Another cause is a persistent right oviduct. That causes clear colorless fluid, while ascites fluid is yellow or amber, or sometimes even green. I have seen ascites during a necropsy even when the lower belly is not enlarged.

Back
Top Bottom