Eggbound, or something else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amysflock, May 9, 2008.

1. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    Hi, all...

I have an Aracauna hen who is straining all day long, seemingly to lay an egg, but I'm not really sure. I hopped on the chat last night and some kind folks directed me to a site with symptoms and remedies for eggbound hens, so I dutifully bathed her in a sink full of warm water as suggested last night for about 40 minutes. She was obviously relaxing as she started to fall asleep, but periodically would strain again.

She's pooping (not healthy looking to me, but I'm new at this, so I can't be sure, but it's runny and brown), but is still straining. It looks like she might be trying to lay an egg as her rear end gets very bulbous, but nothing is coming out.

Are there any other chicken illnesses or disorders that would cause them to huff and puff and strain like she's doing? Her vent area is very crusted and that improved slightly in the bath last night, but not everything was removed. I took photos but don't have them with me...I will post this evening. My book and other resources are running out...and having just started with my hand-me-down flock (from MIL, who doesn't take the best care of her animals, bless her heart), I'm not sure what I am facing here. I certainly want to help this poor little hen out as best I can.

Thanks for any info you can share with me!
    --Amy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like she may be egg bound there, especially with the pushing she is trying to do. Sound like you are doing all you can. Welcome and best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by