Eggbound or?

ia02

Chirping
Aug 4, 2015
I have a hen approximately two years old who is behaving strangely. She spent most of the day yesterday in the nesting box sitting on a few eggs. I suspected she was broody, but her attitude was not exactly that of a broody hen. I do not have any roosters in the flock. Today I came home from work and she was out in the middle of the yard sitting one the ground in the sun. When I coaxed her into walking she was obviously having trouble. She appeared to be limping, or stumbling.

On external physical exam I noticed a poopy area of matted feathers around the vent. I do not feel any masses from outside her body, although the abdomen area below her vent is somewhat distended and full feeling. Her vent area appears to be "pulsing" somewhat. She is alert and her comb is normal or only slightly pale. When moved to the shade with a water source she drank willingly and for a long time. She was definitely thirsty from being in the sun. She also ate when I brought her food. Her crop is not empty, but does not feel hard either.

With symptoms pointing to possibly being egg bound I performed an internal exam with a finger in her vent. I have never done this before so hopefully I did it correctly. I felt around, about index finger deep but did not feel anything solid or egg like. Despite this I gave her a soak to help clean off the matted feathers. I have separated her and moved her into a dark room in a dog crate with food and water.

Wild card: I have had issues with Marek's in the past, so I am aware that this could possibly be Marek's related paralysis setting in. Her pupils are not well defined (possibility of occular Marek's) but she has never shown any other symptoms of Marek's related issues.

Is there anything else I should do to help her? Continue soaking? Perform a different exam? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I have reposted this thread in the emergency forum, where I intended to post it initially. If a moderator wants to delete this thread that is OK. I'd do it myself but I can't figure out how.

Back
Top Bottom