Eggbound Turkin (Please help fast)

winglesschicken

Chirping
Jul 23, 2019
I have an eggbound Turkin who's in really bad shape. She's huge and her skin is all super red. She's super stiff and walks really weird.

Earlier she soaked in a warm/hot bath and was able to pass some poop, and then we put her in a cage for a bit. We fed her some egg (she was eager to eat). We just fed her another egg and put her in an Epsom salt bath to soak. She's acting more aware and more alert than she was earlier, but I feel like she's swelled up more. I'm not sure if that means the egg will pass or not.

What else should we do for her? When I say she's swollen, I mean she's swollen. Her entire underside is bright red, stiff, and swollen so far out I feel like I can't hold her or she'll get hurt.

When we first brought her inside she didn't have anything in her crop but she might have something in it now.

Are you sure she is egg bound and not suffering from an intestinal infection?

Actually now that you mention that I'm not sure. We instantly assumed she was eggbound because she's having trouble passing poop (a lot of it comes out clear and gloopy, or diarrhea) and had swelled up, kind of bo-legged when she walked, too. None of our other chickens have had symptoms like this, either.

Do you have any threads/citation on intestinal infections?

Oh, I should also add this hen almost died from sour crop when she was a chick. It was so bad it stunted her entire growth and she is much smaller than my other Turkins have been (even her comb and wattles). But she did make a full recovery. I'm not sure if that has any effect on how she's doing now.

Back
Top Bottom