Eggbound? Worms? Gleet?

Karlton

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
Hello! I have been lurking since I got my first chicks last June. I'm sorry to have my first post be out of necessity.

I have an 8 month old black australorp that has runny diarrhea, a pale comb and waddle, and she's lethargic.

She's had a poopy butt for about a week, but she was still laying and eating and drinking normally. I didn't want to be paranoid so I decided to just observe her.

Yesterday she was suddenly lethargic and looking pale, so I brought her inside and put her in a dog kennel.

I gave her a bath and used the shower head to run warm water on her vent for about 30 minutes. I also gave her some electrolytes.

She's passing a little bit of stool, and a clear-ish liquid. I attached some photos of what's in her kennel.

Her vent was not white or yeasty looking, but I slathered some Monistat 7 on it because I thought it couldn't hurt.

I can't feel an egg anywhere in her abdomen, but could she be eggbound? She hasn't laid today.

I gave her a pea-sized amount of Safeguard paste yesterday in case it's worms. I've been feeding her scrambled eggs. She hasn't eaten much, but she is drinking.

What else should I do? Do I need to give her anymore Safeguard? Antibiotics?

Thanks,
Karlton

Attachments

• IMG_20210210_194717238.jpg
    IMG_20210210_194717238.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 10
Also, the closest vet who takes chickens is two hours away from me. If I need a vet I would probably have to do an online consultation of some kind.

If you are going to deworm your chicken with Safeguard, you should give it for 5 days in a row. I don't think the pea size is correct. You need to weigh the chicken and give it 0.23 ml of Safeguard per lb of weight orally. You can get a 1 or 3 ml needleless syringe at walmart pharmacy.

Sorry, I don't know about the other stuff or what is wrong with your chicken. More pics of the chicken and its rear end and poop may help others help you.

Back
Top Bottom