1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggless Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, Apr 4, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    HI

Well I have a hen, that is sitting and acting broody, with no eggs below! Why?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Broodyness is all hormonal. They don't need roosters or eggs to feel like it.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have my second broody blue orp...it's hormones!! she has no eggs under her and will not quit!....

4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    She's trying to hatch those invisible eggs that humans can't see... [​IMG]

Our broody used to get so annoyed when we took all her eggs away, but she wouldn't budge either [​IMG]

5. Dinah

Dinah New Egg

May 19, 2007
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Not really a reply here just need more info from you experienced BYC types. Hormonal is the biology and good to reaffirm. So, what's the future like for the broody hen? One went about 2 weeks ago, and now she's taken two others with her this week. I have 3 Buffs just coming up to 10 months old and an Arucauna somewhat older. 2 Buffs and A are lurking in the nesting boxes -- I take them off a couple of times a day to get some food/water. I'd dislike seeing them starve to death -- is that really the end game here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by