Eggs 4 profit

I turn a good profit on a flock of 30 chickens, even in my rural area, even giving lots of eggs away. I charge $2 a doz. when everyone else is asking $1 or $1.50. My laying mash and other grains costs me about $20.00 a month, much less in spring and summer. I sell about 5-8 doz. a week in the good times, 1-2 in the slow. Considering the slow times only last about 3 months or so, this doesn't really concern me.

Sometimes I can't keep up with the demand and wish I had more chickens but then I think about feeding them all in the winter. I add more variety of feed in the winter that helps to cut costs on feed....BOSS, oats, rabbit feed, cracked corn, etc.

I also get to eat all my eggs without buying them and eat culled and extra offspring for free also.

I'm happy to just make enough to cover feed costs. Honestly, I've made more money selling egg ornaments than fresh eggs. It pays to be crafty!

I'm getting $2.00/dozen and can't keep em in stock They are selling as fast as my 7 hens can lay them. I think it has a lot to do with the sign I put out. The old sign just stated "Large Brown Eggs" with "Free Range" below that. In Sept., having had no responces, I added a "Foghorn Leghorn head to the sign and dropped the price to $2.00/dozen. After I added the 'Foghorn Leghorn' picture I started selling eggs. I believe that people are so used to signs on the side of roads that they don't really see them, so you have to get their attention. Here's the sign

32069_eggforsale.jpg

I make a good profit on my eggs, I have 50 layers right now and I sell my eggs for $5.00 dozen.
Even before the pullets started laying I was making around $100.00 per week.
I sell them locally if people call me but otherwise they all go to the farm and they are sold there for $5.00 dozen.
The farm doesn't mark them up they just want to be able to offer eggs to go with the CSA shares that people purchase.
I just show up and put them in the frig and then go get my envelope from the previous week, I don't have to deal with anyone or doing any selling.
I can't keep up with the demand, the farm will take all I can sell and they get 300 people a week in there picking up their CSA shares.

.99 for 6
3.50 Dozen
4.50 for 18

My girls have a waiting list, no new customers. I am getting on avg. 14 a day, and the chicks can't keep up with the demand.

I do live in the heart of Yuppieville and that really helps, next year I'm {we}, are going up to $4.00 per doz. They pay for their food and are paying down the "note" on the coop.

well I think until my pullets really get started I have enough of a customer base, the Feed Store (67 miles away) pays 3.25 a Dozen, and the local grocery pays 3.50, some local people call & pay 4.50. I sell about 9-12 doz a week and eat what I want. lol

however in the spring that will change a bit, I want to hatch chicks from my Light Brahmas! so there go 4 layers to hopefully be Broodys!

You can sell eggs from your backyard flock to restaurants/grocery stores? I didn't know that was legal. Does it require some sort of license? It seems like with all the other restrictions on selling your homegrown/homemade foods, that they would not allow this.

I get 3$ a dozen-I work at a facility that others sell eggs at -one lady sells them for 1.50 a dozen for small white eggs- another sells them for 2$ a dozen for pooped up eggs-not kidding I "spied" in the cartons she had and they had poo all ver them at the very least "skid marks". I clean each egg and only sell the large /jumbo ones for 3$ a dozen. I have about 6 customers that buy everyweek. SO at 18$ a week that covers their food for all-I have 45 birds and 20+ laying hens right now-I sell other eggs for hatching and honestly after shipping and packaging only make 5$ a dozen-which Im ok with too-I do have a waiting list for chicks in the spring I sell those for 2.50 each Straight run or Ill raise them for people for up to 8 weeks for 12$ a bird-no matter what kind of bird it is. They can bring the roos back if I goofed on sex and get a deffinate hen-if its straight run though-sold AS IS! I cant believe people get 5$ a dozen wow thats great!!

Back
Top Bottom