eggs and chicks

henrytherooster

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
I have 5 fertilized eggs in my incubator. They should hatch today and tomorrow. I can hear chirping and pecking inside the eggs. We give our chickens ouster shells. Since ouster shells strengthen eggs will the chick still be able to get out?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! The chicks should be fine. Like many people do, our hens always have oyster shell available, and the normal chicks don't have problems getting out of the shell. You might want to post on the Hatching Eggs forum if one or more of the chicks is malpositioned or seems to be having problems https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs this is a great article from the Learning Center that you might like also https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 Good luck with your hatch!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Yes, the chicks should be fine. Good luck with the hatch!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you are right on track! Peeping is perfect! Pretty soon they are going to pip, (poke a hole through the shell to breath). They will sit like this for 24+ hours, so don't panic and think you need to bust them out. They are busy absorbing the last of the yolk and detaching from the inside of the shell. So just be patient and let them hatch out on their own. You will be fine. Keep your humidity up around 65% to 70%. Don't open the lid until everybody has hatched or at least no other eggs have pipped.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Very exciting!! I'm doing my first hatch as well and I'm curious how loud the peeping is? I'm wondering if we will hear it under our broody as well when they start.

As for your little guys don't worry yet and remember it takes a long time for a chick to hatch so it perfectly normal for them to start and then nothing happen for hours and hours so don't worry they can't get out if that happens.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your chicks should be fine. Congratulations for being on the verge of a successful hatch. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in the final stretch of your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom