Eggs and the Fridge

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kangababy, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    We are new to collecting eggs but our chickens are laying way more than we can eat in a week. We are talking at least a dozen a day if not more...

So my question, I have been told by several people that as long as you keep them room tempature you don;t have to put the eggs in the fridge but oince you put them in the fridge they have to stay in there... So is this true?

and how long can they stay at room tempature and still be safe to eat?

2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    There are several threads on here if you do a search you will finds tons of info. My understanding from research is that they can last for over a month on the counter at a cool temp. The only reason you would have to put them in the fridge is if you wash them. The hens lay them with a protective coating called "bloom" that seals the eggs from bacteria. If you wash that off then the must go in and stay in.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    As soon as I collect eggs each day, I refrigerate them. Although you don't HAVE to refrigerate them, everything I've read agrees that they'll last longer refrigerated. So that's what I do. I wash them before I use them or give them away. I put them in cartons marked with the week collected - and I figure they're good for at least a month after that. I've read of people eating eggs that are several months old, but for me, the fresher the better.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I have read that putting them in the fridge stops the fertilization process as well. Granted only if you have a rooster. If you got fertile eggs with no rooster a call to the news might be in order.

5. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

It will also depend on how hot it gets in your kitchen, I would think. Otherwise I agree with the advice already given, but add that if any eggs are still warm from being laid just before you collect them, I'd be inclined to let them get completely cool before putting them in the fridge.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by