Eggs are bad/ruined/spoiled at laying

Verawren

Hatching
Oct 31, 2018
Lewes, Delaware
In the past few weeks I have noticed that most of the eggs either have liguidy yolks, smell very bad, are Green, or the yolks/interior are chunky. I have had to throw away dozens of eggs. Nothing has really changed in their diet or care. One hen recently had bumble foot and she is being treated for that, but all the other hens seem healthy. What is going on?

In the past few weeks I have noticed that most of the eggs either have liguidy yolks, smell very bad, are Green, or the yolks/interior are chunky. I have had to throw away dozens of eggs. Nothing has really changed in their diet or care. One hen recently had bumble foot and she is being treated for that, but all the other hens seem healthy. What is going on?
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the eggs?
What do you feed, including treats?
What is your housing like (coop/run)?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the eggs?
What do you feed, including treats?
What is your housing like (coop/run)?

I’ll try to take pictures when I get a new batch. I feed them organic layer blend from scratch&peck feeds. Give them oitmeal at times. They have 2 coops (one with 8 boxes, the other with 4) - kinda bad about cleaning it (maybe once a month, but they poop in certain areas and not laying in it). And they are free range.

Do you free range? Or does your run have a lot of greenery growing in it? My guess would be they've found something to eat that is somehow getting passed into the eggs.

Also do you pick up eggs regularly/daily? Are all the eggs like this no matter how they're stored (counter, fridge).

They are free range. Andvtheir coop doesn’t have any greenery in it. Sometimes I forget to collect eggs for a couple days and I have to shoo the hens away to get them. I usually leave them on the counter, but not for weeks at a time.

Back
Top Bottom