Eggs are freezing

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
So my girls are laying but the eggs are freezing and cracking open becoming useless to us. I know that heat in the coop is frowned upon and I'd really rather not do it for safety reasons but all our eggs are freezing every day. How to prevent that?

I have a heat lamp in the coop that is plugged into a thermo-cube that comes on about 35 degrees and switches off at about 40 degrees. It keeps the coop warm enough that the eggs and water do not freeze.

My best advice? Wait until you hear loud cackling or an egg song, then run out and grab the freshly laid egg! Then it won't freeze!
big_smile.png

No, seriously, I have the same problem in the winter. I hate finding my duck eggs frozen solid and cracked when I let my ducks out of their house. I don't have any heat out by my poultry, but I always layer their nesting area in lots of shavings, and in the nest boxes, lots of straw. Sometimes it insulates the eggs, but other times, they still freeze.
Though, my 'almost-not-really-broody" Brahma hen does a good job of sitting on any egg she finds, and she warms them up for me!

Back
Top Bottom