Eggs are gonna arrive before the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, Apr 27, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, okay, I know....dumb broad (me) went ahead and bid on and won a batch of eggs the day after she ordered her incubator. Duh....

Now it's not for certain, but it's pretty likely that those eggs are going to get here before the incubator does.[​IMG]

So, I'm wondering what you think my best chances are for saving the situation?

My first thought is to head to Wal-Mart for one of those glass-covered skillets and get it set up NOW.......?

What do you all think? (No, no, no, not about me -- that's easy:/[​IMG]) but about the which came first issue....

Thanks
    Susan

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Eggs still be used up to 10 days after being laid. Just make sure to keep them in a cool room and not to freeze or heat them. I believe you want a temp of 50-60 for them to keep.

3. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I did the same thing, and my eggs waited 6 days....then an extra to set up the bator....so a total of 7 days, then I still got a good hatch. don't worry, we all do crazy things sometimes.....especially when it comes to these dang chicken addictions we all suffer from. [​IMG]

4. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    dont forget to turn the eggs so the embro will not settle
    also you are supposed to wait 12-24 hrs. on shipped eggs so they will not go through temperature shock

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I"m going to get mine a few days before the incubator gets here to but I'm not too worried as there has been many good hatches here while the eggs have been stored for up to 10 days. Mine will be stored at 55 degrees for about three days. Good luck with yours! I hope everything turns out fine.

6. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks folks.
    All your input and a fistful of valium should keep everything under control....[​IMG]

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by