Eggs are pale

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Australorp Fan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Australorp Fan

Australorp Fan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    My 7 month old Black Australorp hens are laying nice brown eggs everyday. But a few of of the ten hens will lay an egg that is almost white and the texture seems rougher than the usual darker brown ones. They are fed a 16% protein layer pellets plus sweet milk, oyster shells, apples, over ripe tomatoes. Sometimes I give them spaghetti, cheese, raisens and unsalted sunflower seeds. They spend the day outside in a large protected run. Anything to be worried about regarding these pale rough eggs?
    Thank you:)

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I was told it depends on how long the egg is in the system, the shorter between laying, the lighter the egg--- same thing happened with my gals.

3. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I see those too from time to time in my newly laying pullets. I think it's just something they do while they are trying to get their plumbing worked out. Sounds like they have a good diet. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Same here. I had one that layed a dark brown egg and then layed a white/cream egg. They have been a weird texture and have had an odd shell, like thin thin glass. It gets better when they start laying everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by