1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs are pale

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Australorp Fan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Australorp Fan

Australorp Fan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    My 7 month old Black Australorp hens are laying nice brown eggs everyday. But a few of of the ten hens will lay an egg that is almost white and the texture seems rougher than the usual darker brown ones. They are fed a 16% protein layer pellets plus sweet milk, oyster shells, apples, over ripe tomatoes. Sometimes I give them spaghetti, cheese, raisens and unsalted sunflower seeds. They spend the day outside in a large protected run. Anything to be worried about regarding these pale rough eggs?
    Thank you:)

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I was told it depends on how long the egg is in the system, the shorter between laying, the lighter the egg--- same thing happened with my gals.

3. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I see those too from time to time in my newly laying pullets. I think it's just something they do while they are trying to get their plumbing worked out. Sounds like they have a good diet. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Same here. I had one that layed a dark brown egg and then layed a white/cream egg. They have been a weird texture and have had an odd shell, like thin thin glass. It gets better when they start laying everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by