Eggs are rubbery after cooking!?

Hurleychick

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
I have two Ameraucana Hens that just started laying in the past 3 weeks. I've noticed a rubbery texture to the eggs after they are cooked compared to the organic eggs from the grocery store. I have sensitive taste buds and I was wondering why the rubbery texture? I haven't fed them anything weird, just regular chicken feed, apples, squash and bread crumbs. There must be some reason for it as I know they are not chewing on tires, LOL! ??

I don't know what "organic" eggs might be. I have never bought any.

The eggs the chickens lay here cook the same as store eggs. I don't cook here, but my daughter does all the cooking. She says the only difference is in hard boiling them. I must admit that the backyard eggs taste richer somehow.

Even eggs from the newly laying hens are indistinguishable from the ones from the older hens. They taste the same, they were just smaller for a while.

My chickens eat Dumor crumbles and forage for about 3 hours a day. What they eat in the yard is a mystery to me.

Someone who actually cooks might be able to provide some insight for you.

Chris

I have had "rubbery" eggs from the store more often than from my fresh eggs. I think it just happens sometimes & may even just be from moisture levels in the eggs. Make sure your girls are getting plenty of fresh water & eggs are stored in a cool place that isn't overly dry. Sometimes fresh eggs are VERY hard to peel as well when hard boiled. The fresher the egg the more it wants to stick to the shell. Older eggs tend to have a more firm surface & be a bit more "rubbery" allowing them to peel easier. How long did your eggs sit before being used...

Hmmm, okay. I didn't hard boil them yet. I tried scrambling and then fried over medium and scrambled they were fine, but the whites of the over medium egg were "chewy". I've been cooking eggs my whole life, since mom has a breakfast cafe, so I don't think it's my cooking and the eggs were still warm from laying, so freshness wasn't a factor. But, I do have a stainless steel waterer that lets water out slowly and the water sometimes looks dirty if I don't hose the bottom trough every day. I will try keeping the water trough cleaner and see if that helps, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom