Eggs aren't hatching

Proud E Z

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
So I had set a dozen eggs one evening and then another dozen the day right after. It was about 12hrs difference. At day 18 I pulled bad eggs (8) leaving me with 16. On days 21 for each batch the eggs hatched. I have 10 happy babies and the 11th egg pipped, made a hole and died. I have 5 eggs left and it's day 22/23 and it's been over 24hrs since a chick hatched. Should I leave the 5 eggs be and see if they hatch or try to carefully help them pip or??? I know people say it can take up to 25 days but I'm nervous as they haven't wiggled or anything and it seems odd that they haven't at least pipped.

So I can't hear anything in them. And I candled and can see the faint outline of the chicks but no movement. Are they probably dead? All but one is a green egg. And only one of my 10 hatched chicks came from a green egg. Couldn't there be something wrong with those specifically?

So I can't hear anything in them. And I candled and can see the faint outline of the chicks but no movement. Are they probably dead? All but one is a green egg. And only one of my 10 hatched chicks came from a green egg. Couldn't there be something wrong with those specifically?
@MGG

I would give it couple more days. I have been surprised more than once.
just my opinion

I had a late chick recently. Before she hatched, I got so nervous that I candled her. She wasn't moving, chirping or pecking and I was SO scared.
Buuut she hatched later.
Give them time, (and read to them if you want, because I think it helps with bonding later on) and hopefully you'll have a succesful hatch! Good luck!

Thank you guys for all the advice!! That's very interesting, I'll definitely leave them and see what happens. I would love if they would hatch but am prepared for them not to. And that's an interesting though with reading to them, I've not heard of that but would love to give it a try!

Thanks!
Once I got excited and wrote a 49-paged book to read to two duck eggs.
They hatched before I finished reading it to them 😂!
That's literally so cool. It's amazing how attached you can become and how smart they actually are. We used to have a few that would wipe their beaks on our door to lay eggs inside our house in a special cubby. Hatching is so cool now! I had always bought mine from Bucheits

Back
Top Bottom