eggs at 15 weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ams3651, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Songster

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I just found a small egg below the roost. This is the lower roost the youngsters use on the opposite wall and my bigger girls havent done this since they were young. But my girls are only 15 weeks. They are Red but they are RIR x EE. I found 2 small brown eggs and 1 blueish (same as my others). Am I imagining things or isnt this very young, my other girls didnt start till about 22 weeks I think.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    yup, that's young. I've yet to see that.

Perhaps boof eggs from one or two of your older girls.

3. JakRat

JakRat Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Mine are young too, but one is laying... she seems older than the rest though... Double yolks too!

4. nismo

nismo In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    one of my 15 week old hens laid an egg yesterday

5. chickw/chicks

chickw/chicks In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Nice to see this post. I posted on monday that I was surprised because I found my first egg. My chicks are only 15 weeks old.It's my first time raising chicks and this seemed too young. It was a double yolk too. She's continued to lay one a day since, however theyve been smaller than her first.

6. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    It happens, my oldest girl started laying just short of 16 weeks! Hopefully the rest are going to follow suit very soon!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They don't usually start that young. I had a couple of pullets from different flocks start laying at 17 weeks.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Songster

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Im sure of their age because my hen hatched them but Im still not convinced someone laid. One has a bit of a redder face but the others are very pale. I guess its possible but will require some further investigation.

9. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    Our chickens are not even five months and six out of seven are laying.

[​IMG] Ask not why the chicken crossed the road, but why the road got in the way of the chicken.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  10. kalimist99

kalimist99 In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    wow, my rir and ee's are 17weeks old today and no eggs yet, im getting excited I know it could be any day, but then again its been pretty hot here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: