Eggs At 4 Months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DLS, Oct 25, 2010.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I got 25 RIR hens.
    I went to Murray McMurray website to look at pictures of my 4 month old RIR hens. I read the comments at the bottom of the page & several people reported that they have them laying at 4 months or so. It is oct 25 They were hached on july 4th! I wonder if they might start soon? I figgured January, BUT

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Every chicken is different, but some breeds do tend to start earlier than others.
    Do your have red combs yet?

3. DLS

Yes,
    A few have red colmbs but I haven/t found any PULLET sized eggs & no double yolks

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My red sexlinks started laying at 16weeks. The eggs were small but not as small as "fart" eggs. They got biggers as time went on.

DLS!! I swatted that dang bug again!!!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sometimes cold weather slows down egg laying. For any hen (excluding Coturnix Quail [​IMG]) to lay at 4 months old, the conditions have to be ideal.

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    more than ideal! my youngest to ever lay was 17.5 weeks and she was an australorp.

7. DLS

Quote:If I keep a light on my quail they never stop. Chickens same way:)

8. doncalin

doncalin New Egg

Jul 20, 2013
    One of my chickens started laying at 15 weeks. This was a week ago, as now I get an egg/day and though they are small, they are double yoked! We are soooo excited! Out of ten chicks, a second one started laying just today (16wks old). Couldn't tell you what kind they are, as I just picked them up at a local tractor supply store, but they look like Rhode Island Reds. Super friendly and a great addition to our little orchard, as they roam freely around the acreage. And by the way, the eggs were delicious!

9. Brucepierce

Brucepierce Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    My Americauna just laid 5 eggs in her 15 week...small but perfect and delicious!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by