eggs bought on ebay

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newham0614, Jan 17, 2011.

1. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    I just won two bids for eggs. I already have week old eggs in the bator. Will it be ok to mix them in there with the others? These eggs will be here friday. Sultans and blrw mix. I'm so excited.

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my.. Well the fun part will be turning them after lockdown of the first group.. But it can be done..

What kinda bator do you have newham?

3. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    We bought an LG 9200. So far it's working good.

4. Jonny

Jonny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    I'm doing a staggered hatch. I have a Reptipro incubator.. works like a wine cooler, so the temperature and humidity stabilizes quickly. I've never done a staggered hatch, but I've heard it's possible and I will just have to wait and see how this goes.
    My first batch is in lock down as of yesterday, then I have 6 silkie eggs that are 5 days behind. I usually have turned them 5 times pr day, but now that I'm in lock down I'm only turning twice a day. I will keep doing this until I start seeing some of the eggs in the first batch start pipping.

As of the humidity.. my incubator has two levels. I'm keeping the eggs in lock down on the upper shelf, and the newer batch on the bottom. Hoping this will keep some what a humidity difference.. but we will see. I've also read that you don't necessarily have to turn the eggs 5 days prior to hatching. Who knows.. I guess this is kind of an experiment.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Time to get two or three incubators... or a sportsman.

Staggerd hatches are just to tricky in my opinion otherwise...

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:My opinion, too! Hence the crowded table of Brinsea products in my guest room... plus one Reptipro5000.

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    staggered hatches are fairly possible they are kina like operating a styro-bator ya just have to pay attention [​IMG] I have been hatching quail all year in styros and a coupla staggered chicken hatches silkies and seramas I make sure to scrub the bator good after a chicken hatch normally bleach and alcohol and sunlight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by