Eggs, but no egg song!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ErinG, Nov 19, 2010.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Our buff orpington has been laying for a few weeks now. We have heard her sing the egg song 3 times, all were weeks if not a month before she began laying. I know for a fact that she doesn't sing after she lays, I've been there 4-5 times and she just quietly comes out from the box and resumes normal chicken life. Any one else have a chicken that doesn't sing after she lays? I wonder if she will start after the others begin laying and singing?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Be grateful for quiet chickens!!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My EEs are very quiet. My BR sings briefly after she lays. My BO used to make a racket with everyone joining in but she hasn't laid an egg in three weeks [​IMG] I'd like to hear the racket again.

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a party goin on in my chicken yard every day with all the egg songs and everyone joining in! If there are any of them NOT singing, I can't tell from all the racket!

5. Pene and Frida

Pene and Frida Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Our blue orpington very rarely sings. I heard her today, but I wonder if that was just a random show for our new chicken. I have been told orpington chicken is a very quite breed.

[​IMG]

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Some days my chickens are as quiet as the grave. Other days they sound like an all day party is going on in their coop. I think I prefer them quiet.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have three of my seven pullets laying finally and I have not heard the egg song from any of them. No squatting (well not for me) either. I did hear one of the other girls singing the egg song one day but I don't think she is one of my layers (yet). The only indication that any of them are laying is red faces and bigger combs and wattles. I guess some of them are just quiet or didn't get the memo [​IMG]

8. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    We are out in the country now, but when we were in the city, the few times she did sing it was embarrassingly loud. I will be thankful for eggs and no racket!

9. Zinmaker

Zinmaker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I was in the coop the other day while my Plymouth White Rock who just started laying a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised not to hear the egg song while she was leaving me an egg. Noticed her face to be rather pale after leaving the coop, but I suppose that is to be eggspected.

10. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Isn't that a splash hen?
    My hens are Orpingtons, and Orpington crosses. They are NOT quiet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by