1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs, but no egg song!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sassafras, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    One of my RSL chickens started to lay about a week ago (medium size brown eggs). Now my producion red has laid a few days (lg brown). Today I found a pullet sized almost pinkish egg. I think it was from another RSL. But of all the eggs I have gotten I have not heard any egg song like "bok bok bok BAKOK". They just sqwaaaalk loudly, which those ones pretty much do most of the day anyway! Has anyone had a similar experience? Will they eventually do the egg song?

2. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I can't answer your question but I did want to say I love the "bok bok bok BAKOK" phrase lol.

3. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    I have 2 chickens that will do the egg song occasionally after laying and egg and I have 3 that just go in and do their business w/o a bok otherwise. It just depends on the chicken and her mood.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Out of 24 hens in lay, right now, maybe 2 do a bunch of yelling about it. [​IMG]

The rest just quietly go about their business. I actually prefer the calm, quiet approach, myself. Eggs taste the same either way. [​IMG]

5. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    My girls are about the same age as yours. I just finally heard the egg song this evening when I stepped out to check for eggs. It was one of my golden comets. It wase first time i heard it, and she had a bit of a dance thing going on at the th same time, halarious!

6. Forrest_Flock

Forrest_Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Fred's Hens :

Out of 24 hens in lay, right now, maybe 2 do a bunch of yelling about it. [​IMG]

The rest just quietly go about their business. I actually prefer the calm, quiet approach, myself. Eggs taste the same either way. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the average sound most people associate with farm chickens
    would be, I gather, this egg song
    I have been to my mate's uncle's place many times... they do not do that regularly at all, it is more of a quiet "book"ing
    only a few will actually sing the "egg song"​

7. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Had our newest layer do the egg song. Waited a half hour and she was still in the nest box. Picked her up and took the egg. She stayed for another 10 minutes on the golf balls. Hope she isn't going broody on me. She's the first of the Golden Comets to lay. The amberlinks lay and get out of the box. Our ALs don't do the egg song all that much.

8. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    I have one hen that does the egg song for every hen so they don't have too.

1 person likes this.
  9. daydreamer92

daydreamer92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    I've heard my roosters (you read that right) do the noise I thought was the egg song (buk buk buk buk bAKOK! ::repeat:[​IMG] -- they got flustered when we were moving coops and rearranging things, and one started and then all the other boys started. I've yet to hear a hen do it. I watched a hen lay an egg tonight and she had nothing to say at all, not even an "oof!". Just hopped down and went about her business.

The hens make all kinds of other noises, fussing or just clucking, but never anything announcing an egg.

10. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    My rooster stands outside the coop while someone is laying and screams like a car alarm. I think he thinks the hen is dying or in trouble, I don't know. lol They come out, he stops. The next goes in...he starts again. He is like totally panicked during this time and really on edge. I feel kind of bad for them because it does not seem to bother the hens at all. [​IMG]

But no girls sing for me. Just my boy.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by