Eggs can be too porous? *Update*

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
I was looking at this site:
http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

The site states this:
The egg on the right shows highly defined pores.
Eggs that look like this under candling have a slim chance of hatching in my experience.
I've noticed that it mostly depends on the severity of the porosity.

My broody is sitting on 10 eggs, she's only on day 2 but I candled anyway.
tongue.png
All the eggs have pores like the picture on that site. So it got me thinking and experimenting. I've candled about 2 dozen eggs that I've collected for food and ALL of them look like the picture...ALL of them and they come from 23 different hens!

Is it possible for eggs to have too many pores and they won't hatch?

I'll take a picture and show y'all what I mean.​

Last edited:
So far I have incubated only two sets of eggs...but, in each set there was one very porous egg and neither one of them hatched. I have read that it's not impossible to hatch them but that the pores being so large allows for a higher chance of bacteria getting in.

How would any ever hatch then because every one of my hens lays eggs with a lot of pores. My camera won't focus for a good picture.

I don't feed oyster shells, they eat egg shells though.

That brings me to another point...chickens never had oyster shells in the past and they were able to reproduce.

Last edited:
I found this picture on Nifty's niftystuff site. My eggs look just like this (without the viens though):
1564_porous.jpg

It is possible for them to hatch but not likely. Check the calcium content in the food you are giving them. You are ok if you see 2.5%-3.8%. If you are feeding them egg layer ration and your eggs are still porous, you may be feeding them too much of something else like corn, scratch, or treats. You can always suppliment calcium with oyster shell served freechoice on the side. If they need it, they will eat it, if not, they will leave it alone.

Quote:
My chickens eat mostly layer crumbles. They get hard boiled eggs with the shells for treats. I haven't given them corn since winter...to hot for corn.

So what do y'all think of Nifty's picture? Or better yet Nifty if you're around, did that egg in your picture hatch?

I've had porous eggs shipped to me that have hatched out just fine...even some of mine that I have set...

Hens don't need oyster shell to reproduce, they need oyster shell for calicum to make the shells harder and not thin......

Back
Top Bottom