Eggs chirping day 18

DuckyKat

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2020
Hello! I am incubating some shipped Marans eggs.
On day 18 they started chirping, and the eggs would rock around a little from the chicks moving inside. I thought it was a little early to be hearing them but decided to let them be. Today is day 20, and I no longer hear any chirping nor movement.
I'm worried they started pipping too soon, and are dieing in the eggs.

Is this normal? Should I just leave them alone and hope they're resting for their big day tomorrow? Or should I create a hole and investigate?

If they are chirping they have internally pipped. Put a safety hole in the air cell end, brace yourself though. It may be too late. :( Next time if they are chirping but not pipping give them a safety hole right away.

So I investigated one that chirped as I was making a breather hole. It did not yet break through the white membrane, but I saw its beak and broke it through..can they peep before internally pipping?! Or am I misunderstanding the air cell? I hope I didn't ruin it 😭

Attachments

• 20200806_195554.jpg
    20200806_195554.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200806_195548.jpg
    20200806_195548.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 43
If it hasnt pipped in to the air cell then it isnt ready.
The hole in the picture is roughly where the chick would internally pip but there is still an awful lot of blood in the membrane, the chick wont go any further until it has absorbed the yolk and blood from the egg.
And dont worry too much, most of us are guilty of interfering at some point when we shouldnt have :oops:

Good news! Came home to two hatched, one was the one pictured! Two died trying to hatch, one with just a pip and the other halfway through zip... I think the hatched two were rolling them around so much. The zipped one was pushed up against the wall and probably couldn't get out.

So in conclusion... They apparently can chirp and rumble around before they're ready to pip.... If it's still early LEAVE them alone!! Haha. And next time I'm going to put something for traction under the eggs before they hatch to prevent so much rolling around

Good news! Came home to two hatched, one was the one pictured! Two died trying to hatch, one with just a pip and the other halfway through zip... I think the hatched two were rolling them around so much. The zipped one was pushed up against the wall and probably couldn't get out.

So in conclusion... They apparently can chirp and rumble around before they're ready to pip.... If it's still early LEAVE them alone!! Haha. And next time I'm going to put something for traction under the eggs before they hatch to prevent so much rolling around
Congrats on your babies!

Congrats.

We were letting our mama sit on her eggs. We had 5 days left till they would hatch. Seem someone ate half of the shell and all of egg itself. This is the second time this happened. Hens are laying in the same area as mama. Mama gets up to stretch and walk around, eat and drink and then goes back in. Second egg.

Back
Top Bottom