1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs...clean or not to clean.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunne73, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I absolutely love BYC and all the helpful info that I get on here...but so often its conflicting...so here I find myself with 20 little silkie eggs that I desperately want to hatch. I am setting them on wednesday and I do not know if I want to clean the shells or not. They all look relatively clean already but I have read several posts from those that soak their eggs in a bleach solution and swear to a great hatch. I know that cleaning the eggs is not the only factor that lead to a great hatch but I want to do everything humanly possible to get some babies from this hatch. Any thoughts? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You can wipe them off if they are really dirty, BUT DON'T WASH.

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I personally would leave them be.. No wiping or cleaning!! [​IMG]

4. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:I aggree

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I ran mine under cold water and lightly brushed them off with a brisle brush, and mine are doing great!!! If they are ran under hot/warm water, it opens the pores in the shell and the dirt can get in, so I use clod water. Good luck!

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I do not set any obviously dirty eggs. I read an extensive indepth data sheet on the egg white. It has amazing properties to fight infectious "things"; biochemicals like antimicrobials . So I do not clean them either.

Large hatcheries need in depth protocols to maintain production and sanitation and disease prevention; they have huge amounts of $$$ riding on successful hatches of 1000's of eggs.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If the eggs are really dirty (poopy) I do take a scrubbie and lightly clean the poop off of the eggs before I set them. I don't want poopy eggs in my incubator and I'm sure it isn't good for the chicks either. This is just what I do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by