1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs covered in blood

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Danaashh, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Danaashh

Danaashh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Last week, a couple eggs in a row we had an egg with blood all over it. We have new girls laying and we think that she just had some trouble for first eggs. We also got a huge egg this week with blood on it, we think it's a double yolk. It is okay for her to have this happen? We don't know which one it is so were worried that she might have something wrong that we don't know about! Should I worry?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Blood on the eggs is fairly common with pullets starting to lay. I would double check their vents to be sure one of them doesn't have some other problem/ injury. Pullets will sometimes lay doubles, shell-less, weird shapes etc, as they get their egg laying system in gear, it usually isn't anything to worry about and they usually straighten out in a couple of months.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/25/stained-eggs

3. Danaashh

Danaashh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Thank you!! We still get one every couple days but it's not nearly as bad. I'm going to check their vents out just to make sure everything is all right

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by