Eggs cracking as being laid?

Amyh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
North Carolina
I have one hen that always has cracked eggs when they are collected from the nesting boxes. It seems like these eggs are being cracked as they are being laid, the crack is always a pressure crack right at the end of the egg. Should I be very concerned that this hen will eventually become egg bound as her eggs get bigger? I don't really know how to deal with an egg bound hen or how to tell if a hen is in that situation. My hens are by no means pets, so they are not handled with ease.

Any advice is appreciated.
smile.png

Be sure she has layer feed, and calcium supplement... Could be oyster shells or her own egg shells...

Also, if she is a standing layer, be sure you have A LOT of bedding in the nest to cushion the fall...

They are all on layer feed and have oyster shell free choice. I will up the bedding, I never thought of that. Thanks.
smile.png

Also, I have one who will not eat oyster shell and her eggs will be very thin and then rubbery or shell-less. I have to feed her crushed egg shells and cheese or cottage cheese.
sharon

Yeah, I found my eggs cracked and I noticed that if I put more shavings, then the eggs are more protected, less cracked eggs. I think my are standing up or just when the eggs are coming out, it hits the "hardwood flooring" in their nesting box. But now, I need to figure out how to keep the shavings in the nest boxes so I have less cracked eggs. I also get broken eggs on the coop floor - I think they are rolling the eggs out of the nesting box. Another problem, I'm working on to fix. Any help is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom