Eggs disappearing

Apr 28, 2020
Montgomery County Pennsylvania
I have my broody Muscovy ducks sitting on eggs and the eggs keep disappearing each day. I had 11 chicken eggs under 1 and 5 duck eggs under the other. Every day, 1 egg goes missing every day and it has been 2 weeks and there are no more chicken eggs and 3 duck eggs left. There is also a very foul smell in the egg nest area. What is going on?

It could be the hen removing bad eggs. Can other birds get to the nest? Rodents and snakes can take eggs too.

A rotten smell means bad eggs, so I'm guessing the hen is removing bad eggs. We're they ever candled by you?

I have my broody Muscovy ducks sitting on eggs and the eggs keep disappearing each day. I had 11 chicken eggs under 1 and 5 duck eggs under the other. Every day, 1 egg goes missing every day and it has been 2 weeks and there are no more chicken eggs and 3 duck eggs left. There is also a very foul smell in the egg nest area. What is going on?
could be the hen removing bad eggs or a snake or something could very well be taken them

It could be the hen removing bad eggs. Can other birds get to the nest? Rodents and snakes can take eggs too.

A rotten smell means bad eggs, so I'm guessing the hen is removing bad eggs. We're they ever candled by you?
Yes I candled the last chicken egg yesterday, and it was at near piping stage. I went to check the duck eggs and the chicken egg was gone a few minutes later. After the chicken egg was gone the foul smell started. We have been having a roadent problem for a while though.

The other ducks are able to get into the nest but the Muscovy's keep them away.

Most likely it's a rodent or other predator. Mice can be amazingly destructive for their size. You can trap them, or remove the broody and nest to a rodent-proof area. I also would replace the straw or bedding, if possible, since that smell attracts the wrong element, too.

I can smell if there are snakes in my barn. If you want to learn their smell, go to a pet store or the zoo. If you don't smell the snakes, then your mice probably developed a taste for chicken.

Yes I candled the last chicken egg yesterday, and it was at near piping stage. I went to check the duck eggs and the chicken egg was gone a few minutes later. After the chicken egg was gone the foul smell started. We have been having a roadent problem for a while though.

The other ducks are able to get into the nest but the Muscovy's keep them away.
This year I had eggs disappearing under a few hens I had setting. We also are experiencing a big rodent problem, rats and mice. I'm guessing the rats are taking eggs. We are working on eradicating them. So you may have the same type of problems.

This year I had eggs disappearing under a few hens I had setting. We also are experiencing a big rodent problem, rats and mice. I'm guessing the rats are taking eggs. We are working on eradicating them. So you may have the same type of problems.
Yeh we have been having a huge rodent problem we shot 40 with an air rifle and poisoned 8 rats and we still have a ton. Traped 19 of them. How else can I get rid of them.

Yeh we have been having a huge rodent problem we shot 40 with an air rifle and poisoned 8 rats and we still have a ton. Traped 19 of them. How else can I get rid of them.
Just keep at it. They say if you are actually seeing them there are hundreds, plus they multiply rapidly. We usually do fall maintenance, and at least eradicate the rats at least until the following year. This year have been a bit more than normal with them already coming in.

cotton mouths (water moccasins) often have a foul smell , and wouldnt be against a few free meals. You could try to put a camera up and see if you can catch whatever is stealing the eggs.
Skunks smell horrible as well and will take eggs and very small chickens.
It also could be a rotten egg hidden somewhere causing the smell, and that’s what’s attracting the rodents and causing them to take eggs.
Those are just some ideas!🤷‍♀️😁

Back
Top Bottom