Eggs disappearing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tommymartin, Oct 18, 2011.

1. tommymartin

tommymartin New Egg

Jan 10, 2010
    FL
    I have a Dove Release business in Ft Lauderdale I raise white doves/ homing pigeons and recently have noticed when I check on the hens sitting on eggs an egg will be missing. Then a day or 2 later the other egg is missing. I look on the floor and all around and there isn't even a sign of the egg shell. The loft is pretty secure with small mesh wire. I thought maybe rats were doing it but I have set traps and bait and haven't seen a rat in months.
    What is going on?

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    It could be one of the following: snakes, rats, egg eating birds, or even a human taking them. I would double check all the cages for even the tiniest space a varmint could get through. If you want to really see what is going on, you could buy or borrow a cheap security camera system and record what is happening to the eggs.

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Could it be a snake? I have had a few this summer.

4. tommymartin

tommymartin New Egg

Jan 10, 2010
    FL
    Do black racers eat eggs?
    I did see one about 3 feet long in the yard

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My first thought is a snake.

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Yes they do....

7. fisherchic

fisherchic New Egg

Nov 22, 2011
    All summer long my eggs were coming up missing. We found a gray rat snake, 6 goot long with two or three in his tummy. He couldn't get out so we did kill him. We now get eggs again!

8. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I had a broody sitting on a few eggs and one disappeared
    I think the other hens getting into the box with her to lay their eggs (for her to sit on as well) must have stepped on one and broken it
    the momma hen then ate the broken egg and all bits of shell, I did find a tiny bit of egg smear in the pine shavings, which is why I knew it was broken on the nest.

if it wasn't that, it is probably a snake
    good luck

9. ladydoc1992

ladydoc1992 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartsville, SC
    I had the same thing happen this summer. I had ordered some very expensive Serama eggs and put them under my broody hen. Next morning they were gone..all 4 of them! Ordered more, put under hen...then sat up and watched for 2 nights...caught that varmit in action! 5' long black snake..so full of eggs he couldn't get back thru the holes in the wire! Last eggs he ever ate.!
    What was amazing was that he could squeeze his big body thru such small holes in the first place.!

10. blazensasha

blazensasha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Old Miakka,FL
    I would say SNAKE,I've had to deal with them many times. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by