Eggs dying

MySweetChickens

Songster
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Michigan
Alright so im setting eggs in the incubator about 16 and it seems that although temp and humidity are stable (unlike the last batch) im having deaths at day 3 there seems to be no reason for this and have never had a problem in the past yet they die with a watery yolk and blood spots is my incubator breaking on me i have had it for at least 3 years or are my roosters/hens the problem? Is there something they could be eating? Im just wondering if any of you know a possible reason for this or am i just having a stroke of bad luck :/

Have you double checked with a different thermometer? I found out early you cant trust them, my metter on my incubator reads erratically, so i purchased 2 more online with built in humidity, and they also read wrong, them i used my wifes meat thermometer, it read completely wrong also, I finally went to my work van and got my $400 fluke out, set accordingly, and have nevwry had a problem again.

I currently uave two thermometers in there one of which was bought from a petstore and one that came with the incubator the one with the incubator i stupidly ttusted and suprisingly it has read well for quite a while while my one i resently bought has a humidity meter with it and reads the same although i wouldnt be suprised if they are both wrong :/ though im having the same problem with eggs under my broody hen

I should mention the last hatch had the same problem and we are using eggs fertilized by a newer rooster although i dont think you can breed a bird with a lethal gene he is presumed to be a brahama and easter egger cross some of these hens are newer as well though i doubt its the birds that are the problem

I truly appreciate your help and plan on order a few more expensive and accurate thermometers:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom