1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs, Eggs, Eggs!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenworld, Dec 23, 2007.

1. chickenworld

chickenworld Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    Hey there everybody,

Recently I bought some new laying hens and the eggs have been rolling in, but I was wondering how everybody sanitizes and stores their eggs safely? Any help would be much appreciated! [​IMG]

CW

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Pick them up out of the nesting boxes and plop them into an egg carton and put them in the fridge. Unless they are really dirty, don't wash them. You'll wash off the protective bloom on the outside that keeps them from getting bacteria in them. If you do need to wash for some reason, make sure the water is slightly warmer than the eggs so it doesn't create a vacuum effect and pull bacteria in through the pores.

Congrats on all the eggs. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Same as Deniece. From nest to fridge unless pooped on, but that doesn't happen much. Was at a family dinner when my nephew in his 20's asked me what one had to do to eggs to make them ready to eat, LOL. I said just take them warm from the nest and put 'em in a carton in the fridge. He was incredulous. Don't know what he thought I had to do to them.

4. Zylphrix

Zylphrix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2007
    Hillsborough NC
    My friend is getting about 8 duck eggs a day from 9 ducks .. but the ducks drop their eggs anywhere so the hen eggs are clean and the duck eggs are always muddy which I assume is Poo .... so I wash them ... but they always feel funny afterward .. like duck eggs are smoother!

Good to learn that theres a protective layer on them .. and I just learned not to wash that off if I dont have too

thanks
    Mark

5. chickenworld

chickenworld Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    Thank you everyone for your help! [​IMG]

CW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by