Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

Deester

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2013
So much talk about eggs. Why's and whens. I've got one for you. Have 3, 7month old Black Cayuga's. They started to lay their first eggs in September. Things were good for a week or so. 1-3 eggs daily. For the last several weeks only one has been laying. Now she's stopped. We had some soft eggs and I gave calcium supplement to help. The lady at the feed store gave me the wrong feed so I bought layer feed and mixed them together with extra calcium.

My Petunia is now has Bumblefoot which we started to treat. Could that be the reason she stopped laying. Even though it's gotten colder and shorter days we have a light going in the duck house from- 4-9pm then comes on again at 5am. Do I have the lighting set wrong? Why did two stop laying for so long? Other than the bumblefoot they are happy and healthy. They get plenty of exercise although I don't think there is so many worms any more. They free range a few hours a day. Any thoughts?

My first ducks I've owned so still working out some stuff.

Denise

Welcome to Duckdom!

A few things that you are already piecing together, I think. Fewer worms to forage, maybe low calcium, stress of bumblefoot (how is the treatment going with that?), less light, and they are cayugas.

I read that cayugas lay 100 to 150 eggs a year, which the ALBC calls "prolific." Still, if they are laying daily, that is three or four months of the year. So they may be taking their rest from laying.

Try some vitamins in their water once a week or two, it helps their general health.

I hope some cayuga people check in. I am sharing what I have learned from the forum, to the best of my memory.

Thank you so much for your warm reply. When you said that they still only lay for a few months a year it kinda went Duh! of course! We lanced the bumble foot yesterday. She still doesn't put weight on it but it does look better. Just sore.

Thanks

Denise

Ya know, some members have found ways to avoid cutting. Had you seen this? It is from a thread called, Bumblefoot, New Ideas on Treatment with pictures, from Haunted55:

On July 1st, I found one of my Pekin ducks with what I would consider a bad case of Bumblefoot. Both feet were involved and I'm ashamed to say, the only way I found it was she was limping. One foot had 7 and the other had 3. I was able to grab her and bring her into the house and put her into a warm bath to clean and soak. Two water changes later and softened feet, all I had time to do was paint the bumbles with colorless iodine, grabbed the wrong stuff, and put her into a dog crate in my house until I could get everything ready to operate and get them gone. Did I mention the thought of this scared me half to death?

Sad to say it took 6 days before i was able to get everything together and someone to help out with the 'cure'. The following pictures are what we found after the bath we gave before the planned surgery to remove these things.

As can be seen, there really wasn't much to operate on, even though I was prepared to do just that. No matter how much squeezing or prodding or soaking, there just wasn't anything more to come out, it was all on the scabs that were covering the sores. The swelling was down from the 'marbles' I saw when I first found them. I poured betadine over the ones I had opened and painted the ones that I hadn't again with the iodine and put her back into her crate with clean bedding.

the next pictures are of the same Pekin and anothe duck, Dottie the Mallard, who was also found limping.

As can be seen in the first two pictures, the bumbles have been dramatically reduced on the Pekin with just the iodine application and the smaller ones totally gone. The last four pictures are of the Mallard who is still under going the iodine applications.

As can be seen, this is how the left and right foot look tonight on the Pekin duck. The heels being the worst are still showing infection and need for more treatment. tomorrow, I will again give a bath and pull/cut out the scabbing and treat with straight iodine this time. These spots are now flat or as flat as they should be considering the part of the foot they are on. I will still touch up the places that had the spots before as well.

Wow, incrediable. Me too felt bad that I hadn't caught it sooner. But Petunia's didn't seem as bad as theirs. I've been fighting her to soak her foot in a container with Epson's salt. I know it hasn't soaked long enough and is stressful to both parties. So I said I'd never do it but I will '/soak her in the tub tomorrow. She'll enjoy it because I took their pool away about 2 weeks ago. The sneakers though been getting in the water bin for a swim. This will be easier because she won't have to be held down and she'll think it a treat. For the soaking part anyway. I'm pretty sure she figures were helping her.

I'll give you all an update. I'll try the direct betadine/iodine too. Just got some antibiotic as well.

Thanks so much again!!

Denise

Just a couple of notes - Epsom salt is a laxative, so I make a compress (clean rag soaked in Epsom salt & water), others get a little bucket or big bowl and put the ducks' feet in it and hold the duck. Romy is okay with that second approach.

And the clear iodine (white iodine, yodo blanco, according to the label) seems to be the stuff that works as described. It is a little different than brown iodine. Who knew?

Ducks hide illness and injury, at least you have found it and are dealing with it.

Yes I did buy the colorless in error so I'm good.

Ohh right didn't think about her drinking it.

Denise

Back
Top Bottom