Eggs failing to hatch

Buremu Sarapio

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
I put 14 eggs under my broody hen & it's been 25 days though no egg is hatching those eggs were previously laid in the bush during the wet season so I suspect they got some problem from there
So can I just remove those eggs & give her new ones, is it possible she'll keep brooding for 21 more days

Have you tried candling the eggs to see what they look like?
A hen will sometimes continue sitting long enough to set eggs again but that will depend entirely on the hen. In some cases they will give up and in other cases even if you don't give them eggs they can be extremely determined and sit for weeks and weeks, lol. Being broody for an extended period of time can be hard on hens though.

Have you tried candling the eggs to see what they look like?
A hen will sometimes continue sitting long enough to set eggs again but that will depend entirely on the hen. In some cases they will give up and in other cases even if you don't give them eggs they can be extremely determined and sit for weeks and weeks, lol. Being broody for an extended period of time can be hard on hens though.
I did the candling and it seems the embryos are dead but I've decided to let my hen free because it may hurt her just like you said it's hard on the hen
Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom