1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs finally started pipping this morning!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RiverMan420, Jul 8, 2011.

1. RiverMan420

RiverMan420 RIP 1963-2014

Jun 16, 2011
    Anyone know how long it takes to get out of the shell?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Sometimes it can take as long as 24 hours or even a bit more in some situations for it to emerge.... Please just back away from the incubator and don't open it....This is sooo hard to do....Believe me I know after hundreds of hatches now I have literally had to leave the room.....Keep us posted and Praying you'll have a Blessed Hatch!

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Quote:x2

4. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

That's good advice, you can watch if you can leave them alone, if not, go paint the bedroom. Best of luck!

5. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Oh boy, it's probably a good thing I don't have an incubator, I don't think I could keep from picking at that! Good luck with the hatch! [​IMG]

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Lol I understand that my last hatch I left and went to the lake for the day so that I wasn't here and couldn't interfere hehe.

7. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    mine took about 12 hours total. but i've had hatches take as long as 48 hours.

8. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Seriously go paint the bedroom. Its the worst.

9. RiverMan420

RiverMan420 RIP 1963-2014

Jun 16, 2011
    24 hours later the chick is a little further along

[​IMG]

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Is it just me who thinks this way?
    I honestly believe that the reason why most hatches fail is because people just won't leave the eggs alone.. they constantly have to poke and fiddle with them.. i have seen some people who are in and out of the bator candling eggs every day and messing with the temperature and humidity.. then when they see a pip have to go and mess with that.. and then wonder why the chick died.. or have wild temperature fluctuations cause they can't leave the darn thing alone.. then worry and crack open a perfectly good egg and kill the chick..
    methinks they need a lesson in patience!
    and this is not directed at any one person in particular... just people in general..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by