Eggs for the week and a question

Eddie the Yeti

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Colorado Springs, CO
OK, my flock it now 1 Silver laced Wyandotte roo 6 months old, 4 SLW hens same age, 3 barred rock hens 5 months old and 1 buff orpy same age as the rocks. I got the first eggs 8 days ago, found 2 on that day, outside the nesting boxes in the dirt. 1 caught my eye and then I looked around and found the second both were ice cold so they may not have been laid the same day. Next day no eggs and then 1 a day for the next 6. as you can see in the pic they are all pretty uniform in size and color. My first assumption was that they would be from thee SLW hens and I was not sure if I have just one laying or if they are taking turns. this morning when I went out all 5 SLWs were on the ground outside of the inner coop(where the laying boxes are) the orpy and 2 of the rocks were still rooting 6 feet high on the rafters of the fresh air coop and the last rock was in the inner coop, she ran out when I opened up the nesting box, but she was not in the nesting box. There was my 1 egg, still very warm as if it was just laid or maybe as if it was being brooded(is that a word?) I have never had SLWs or rocks before (have had buff orpingtons) so I am not sure if anyone can tell by the color of the eggs who might have dropped them. Could it be the rock even though she is younger? and any opinion on whether or not they could be all from the same bird? I kinda thought with them getting to the right age when it is so cold out, (below freezing at night) I might end up waiting till spring for eggs, so these are really bonus eggs at this point, just trying to figure it out because I have that kind of brain that won't let things go! any opinions or discussion are welcome. Thanks.
eggs in basket.jpg

They do all look like they’re from the same breed of pullet. Can you post some pictures of the girls? Whoever is laying should have some redness and a growing comb.
All of the SLWs have bigger and redder combs and wattles, And their butts are getting wide, so I had been expecting eggs for a while. The barred rock girls are a little over a month younger but are actually physically bigger and one of them has a redder comb, but not the one that was in the coop this morning, that one was still roosted. With it being cold I half way expected the laying to be delayed, I am just curios to figure out who is actually giving me presents. I can get some pics next time I go out there.

took this pic, best one of the rock girls (Sad I know) the one at the top has a much bigger comb and it is really red, I am not sure if this is the one that I saw this morning but she could be the one laying. I am surprised though because the rocks are a good bit younger than the SLWs
rock girls cropped.jpg

took this pic, best one of the rock girls (Sad I know) the one at the top has a much bigger comb and it is really red, I am not sure if this is the one that I saw this morning but she could be the one laying. I am surprised though because the rocks are a good bit younger than the SLWsView attachment 2427260

She definitely looks very ready. PR are usually early-ish starters.

Thanks for the input. If that is the case I may need to try incubating some eggs, As I understand it the Barred rock hen with my Silver Laced Wayandote Roo should make black sex link babies. Something I want to experiment with a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom