Eggs found in hidden nest still edible?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Sunny Side Up, May 21, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Today I found a hidden nest with 23 beautiful eggs that would be a shame to waste if they're still edible. It seems to be the work of just 2 hens, there were 17 jumbo green and 6 large white eggs. They were all very clean & uncracked, and every one sank straight to the bottom of a cup of warm water, not one rose even a little on one end. I dried them all and put them into the refrigerator.

There could be more than one green egg layer at work here, but if not, then the oldest egg could be almost 3 weeks old. I'm such a cheapskate that I don't like to "waste" good food on the chickens if the humans in the family could eat it, and don't like to "waste" good chicken feed by giving it to Compost Pile instead. However, I'm willing to listen to good advice.

Who do you think should get these eggs?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Hi there, Sunny! If the eggs sunk, they should be o.k.-- However, with the kind of heat we'ue had lately, you may find some surprises if the eggs could have been fertilized and your hens were sitting the nest awhile. You might try candleing those eggs before cracking them.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I personally wouldn't eat them if you don't know how old they are. And if they were incubating and developing, they're probably no good now that you've put them in the fridge... [​IMG] Sorry...

4. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    I'm afraid I wouldn't chance it, either. Darn, sorry.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I do not thinks it's a very good idea to eat them either...23 eggs, hard to tell how long they have sat out especially in FL weather...

Last edited: May 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by