Eggs from a Bearded Turkey?

ILuvsChicks

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
Missouri
Got two White Broad Breasted Turkeys. Also go one female duck. The duck has been laying solid white eggs since last summer.
The turkeys are now one year old. Both have beards so I figured both are male. Lately we been getting some eggs the same size as the duck eggs but with red specks on them. My wife said see thinks they might be turkey eggs. I said no way. They are both males. They are just duck eggs. Well the other day i seen the turkey in the far back corner of the coop setting and making turkey noises. Later after the turkey had left I looked and there was four eggs there. All with red specks. Can a female turkey have a beard? If they can, do all females of this breed have beards? Or is this something unusual? O' don't guess it matters, but I weighed the turkeys about two months age. One was 46 pounds. The other was 38 pounds.

Most of my bourbon reds have beards (the tuft of hair coming out of their chest). One of my large females will even puff up like the Tom's. Turkeys tend to have a 50-50 ratio when it comes to male and female so it's possible that you have one of each. Observe them to see if they are mating, you might get lucky with fertile eggs.

Got two White Broad Breasted Turkeys. Also go one female duck. The duck has been laying solid white eggs since last summer.
The turkeys are now one year old. Both have beards so I figured both are male. Lately we been getting some eggs the same size as the duck eggs but with red specks on them. My wife said see thinks they might be turkey eggs. I said no way. They are both males. They are just duck eggs. Well the other day i seen the turkey in the far back corner of the coop setting and making turkey noises. Later after the turkey had left I looked and there was four eggs there. All with red specks. Can a female turkey have a beard? If they can, do all females of this breed have beards? Or is this something unusual? O' don't guess it matters, but I weighed the turkeys about two months age. One was 46 pounds. The other was 38 pounds.
Both hens and toms can have beards. Both hens and toms can display.

Let's See Your Bearded Turkey Hens

Kind of hard to see the beard on one. Sometimes when it struts you can see it. Other wise you have to pull the feathers back. Looking at them I'm not should the one with the longer beard is the biggest. I'll have to weigh them again. I'll also have see which one was sitting on the nest. I believe it was the one with the smaller beard.

Attachments

• IMG_2933.JPG
    IMG_2933.JPG
    922.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 8
Kind of hard to see the beard on one. Sometimes when it struts you can see it. Other wise you have to pull the feathers back. Looking at them I'm not should the one with the longer beard is the biggest. I'll have to weigh them again. I'll also have see which one was sitting on the nest. I believe it was the one with the smaller beard.
No need for you to worry about getting fertile eggs. Both of those turkeys are hens.

Back
Top Bottom