Eggs from the grocery

cackler

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2009
Central Kansas
We really have not paid any attention to the eggs available at the grocery store since we got our hens. Today we were shopping and I decided to look at a dozen AA white eggs. They looked like they were spray painted with white paint. We also noticed some imperfections - such as raised areas on the shells that looked like they were sprayed over with white paint. Is it possible that this is what we were purchasing in the past and just didn't know any better? Our eggs from our girls seem SOOOOOO much better than what we saw in the grocer's fridge.

I have always found that store bought eggs have weaker shells, paler yolks and thinner whites, usually bigger air cells too. The thinner whites and larger air cells come from hanging around for up to 6 months from the time they were laid. The thin shells and pale yolks are due to diet, low amounts of Vit D and calcium.

Yeah I've never seen a real farm Leghorn egg look quite like the ones on the store shelf either. Little bubbles of white paint...lol...maybe, dunno, but I know what ya mean
big_smile.png

Probably not paint but they do sit around for a long time before being shipped to the stores for sale, that is why there so nasty tasting and looking. The industry figures 99.9999 % of us has never even seen a real hen so what the heck do we know.

AL

According to the USDA the eggs we buy at the store are bathed, possibly in a chlorinated solution. I say possibly because some processing centers may use an alternate wash that meets standards. The USDA won't state a time from bird to table, but they will tell you what storage guidelines are both at the processing site and in transit.

That said, I have never had trouble cracking a store bought egg. They just tap and separate. My home grown eggs however, you have to crack them and then almost punch your finger through to separate them because they are so thick, and the inner membrane is so tough.

Color of the yolk is very different. Store bought yolks are sunshine yellow when compared to the almost mustard yellow of my hens.

Laney

Quote:
You're right, I have Leghorns and yes they lay large white eggs, but they aren't BLEACHED WHITE, ya know? They look naturally white, which is to say "almost white" or not as white as the white styrofoam Eggland's Best carton that my mom gave me.

They also seem smoother, without those bumps, but I am not really sure what that means.

Quote:
Shoppers are so used to demanding perfection, thats why all the dang fruits and veggies are full of poisonous sprays and such, cause the general public freaks out if they see a little brown spot
th.gif

I think if they boxed up my eggs and put them in the grocery store they'd NEVER sell because mine are all speckled and spotted and odd shapes - my chicken eggs are never as perfect as people have been led to believe is correct. The public has been "educated" to believe those perfect white eggs are perfectly healthy!

Its all about how everything looks from the outside, with no concern about whats on the inside.

Last edited:
It just goes without saying the same old adage that people especially Americans have completely lost touch with where and how there food is raised and processed for sale to them. They just want to walk in and put perfect looking meat and veggies in their cart and go home and never be bothered with the details. Sad we know.

AL

Back
Top Bottom