Eggs from Treated Hens

foodisrx

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
I have heard that you shouldn't eat eggs from hens being treated with antibiotics. Mine were on Duramycin 10 from Durvet. It's a tetracycline Hydrochloride so I am assuming the rules holds for them also. I have continued to collect the eggs, but am keeping them separate. I am terrible frugal and can't bring myself to just pitch them. (It seems like it took FOREVER before they got around to laying.)

So... could I feed the eggs back to the hens cooked in their oatmeal gruel? If they are already getting dosed I would think the eggs would have a minimal effect on them.

Technically if you use an off label drug (99% of the drugs that people give to their layers are off label), the withdrawal time is FOR LIFE. As there is no published data on how long it takes for the residues to be gone. Most people who raise eggs & meat for their own consumption- withhold eggs / meat for 2 weeks from giving medications. Many of the drugs people give to their layers have labels for meat birds, so they are safe for chickens in general . If you sell eggs to the public (who in general hates getting drug residues unknowingly in their food), you should abide by the drug labels. Which means if the antibiotic says 'do not use in laying hens- on in your case- do not use in chickens and turkeys producing eggs for human consumption', it shouldn't be used.

Back
Top Bottom