Eggs froze in coop, been on my counter for days. Safe?

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
As the title says we had some very cold weather and had some eggs freeze. No cracks or anything but they've been on the counter since they left the coop last week so they have thawed to room temp. Can I eat these?

We don’t refrigerate our eggs, they go into a skelter to assure one doesn’t end up getting old and fowl. I’d think you should be fine but as always, be mindful when you crack them open for anything unusual and apply safe handling/cooking practices. I assume every egg could have some level of food born illness potential. Normal flora for chickens is not normal for us… in other words what doesn’t make them sick can make us sick. For the most part anything problematic is killed by cooking easy over, and avoiding sunny side up or eating anything with raw egg in it.

I've left mine out for that long and longer and they've always been fine to eat. I think you should be good!

As the title says we had some very cold weather and had some eggs freeze. No cracks or anything but they've been on the counter since they left the coop last week so they have thawed to room temp. Can I eat these?
Since it wasn't cracked.. it should be fine.

It probably sweat when brought inside.. diminishing the antibacterial coating (bloom).. allowing aging (quality deterioration) to also take place faster.

While unwashed and un-refrigerated eggs are completely fine and acceptable.. please note they age approximately 7 times faster at room temp then under refrigeration according to both my research and less specifically (regarding rate) my personal experience.. whites get thinner, yolks get flatter, shells get easier to crack.. overall they are runnier WITH age.. even just a couple weeks.. As opposed to refrigerated ones being still viable at 6 + months (real life story).

When in SLIGHT doubt.. meaning I know they're safe but don't wish to consume myself.. I will boil or scramble and feed back to the animals.

"When in doubt, throw it out"! Words to live by, when it's about food safety.
We throw cracked eggs out, every time. Eggs don't freeze right at 32F, rather over time lower than 28F (look up the temp exactly). So far this week, with temps 0F to the teens, only one frozen cracked egg. I've been opening eggs when in doubt this week, and all have so far been fine. I am home to bring them inside during the day, which helps a lot. And our coop is larger, and in the sun when it's shining, so it tends to be slightly above ambient temps during the day.
I had Poultry Production in college, and always wash and refrigerate our eggs. Fresher longer ! Again, one day on the counter, same as one week in the frig.
Mary

It's hard to tell if an egg is frozen unless it is cracked.
I had 2 eggs the other day, 1 was cracked and 1 was not.
I tossed the cracked one and ate the other, the yolk was thicker than normal but it was fine to eat. I mark any I suspect may be frozen and observe when I open them 1 at time in a separate dish.

When I bring an egg inside, if the egg is colder than room temp, it goes in fridge. Because condensation will wash off the bloom.

Back
Top Bottom