Eggs galore I'm getting too many eggs!

Our livestock guardian dogs get eggs with their food to supplement protein. Indoor dogs not so much. The livestock dogs work all night patrolling for predators, so they work off a LOT of calories. I also periodically give eggs to a nice young mother in town. I dont have enough chickens to set up a table at the farmers market, but too many eggs for us to eat (especially in summer). So giving to those who can use them seems a win win.

I gave them away to friends and neighbors. When they couldn't use more I fed the eggs back to the chickens. Over the years I have also cut back on the number of chickens I keep. Three or four seem to be just the right number. Much easier to deal with than 12 hens.
I went and bought 8 chicks last spring thinking that half would either be roosters or die of something.
They're all super healthy hens! 6-8 eggs a day!!

We have "porch refrigerators" here to help people in need of food they can't get at the food bank. People in different parts of town, keep an old fridge on their front porch. Any one can put things into the fridge or freezer, as long as it is not raw meat, and anyone can remove what they need. Extra eggs are always welcome and go fast. It works here, you may want to start this in your city. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom