Eggs gone!

May 16, 2021
Hello, One of my Chocolate Orps has gone broody its currently day 22. First week of incubation the eggs were honestly fine. 2nd week Ive noticed one egg missing each day I suspected one of the nonbroody hens had something to do with it. Thing is I haven't seen any of the hens bother the mama hen. Comming to the closing week I noticed a wet dead chick with an attached yolk. Later to hatch date all the eggs were missing. I ausmme a squriel could be breaking the eggs and eating the chicks. Does anyone know what could have happened? Ive even separated her from the flock after noticing the missing eggs.

Pictures of the area she is in?

If it is not predator proof with half inch hardware cloth then it could be any hungry predator that is stealing the eggs.
Squirrels, rats, snakes... Take your pick.
Ill take a picture tomorrow. I mean it is a fully covered coop.

Pictures of the area she is in?

If it is not predator proof with half inch hardware cloth then it could be any hungry predator that is stealing the eggs.
Squirrels, rats, snakes... Take your pick.
Sorry I forgot to post pictures I was very busy today. I promise a picture tomorrow and hopefully we can figure it out.

i Had something similar happen about 1 1/2 years ago with a new broody momma of mine.
for the life of me I couldn’t figure out what was going on, until the last egg was left and I caught that crazy broody hen killing her chick right after hatch. I immediately tried to save the poor thing, but it ended up dying a couple of hours later.
she had ended up killing all of her chicks, and the weird thing was the egg and chick were just gone. I assumed she ate them and the egg shell with it.
I assumed predators as well, however I knew it wasn’t a large predator because I over did the hardware cloth when I built the chicken coop, and I checked for weak points and found none.
I then assumed rats had managed to get in, and thought that could be it.
needless to say that lunatic of a bird will never be allowed to sit on any eggs!
I hope this is not the case for you, but do Consider this as a rare possibility.

Back
Top Bottom