Eggs hatching, need advise.

Pipers chicks

Chirping
Apr 23, 2018
Hey! I'm so exited! My barred rock hen has not abandoned her eggs and a few are hatching! A few questions.
I thought the eggs would hatch on Tuesday or maybe Wednesday, it's Sunday now and a few eggs are cracked and one chick is almost out. Is this too soon? Will there be a problem?

Is there any danger that momma will leave the later hatching eggs to take care of the chicks?

Do I have to take care of pasty butt or will the hen do that?

Also, (I'm so impatient) how often can I check on the eggs progress without upsetting the hen?

How long should I wait before letting the hen and babies out to free range with the rest of the flock?
Thanks so much! (I'll try and post pictures when they are out)

Hey! I'm so exited! My barred rock hen has not abandoned her eggs and a few are hatching! A few questions.
I thought the eggs would hatch on Tuesday or maybe Wednesday, it's Sunday now and a few eggs are cracked and one chick is almost out. Is this too soon? Will there be a problem?

Is there any danger that momma will leave the later hatching eggs to take care of the chicks?

Do I have to take care of pasty butt or will the hen do that?

Also, (I'm so impatient) how often can I check on the eggs progress without upsetting the hen?

How long should I wait before letting the hen and babies out to free range with the rest of the flock?
Thanks so much! (I'll try and post pictures when they are out)

If they are hatching, then it is not too soon... She will stay on the nest until she is sure that the ones that r gonna hatch, have hatched.

You can take care of the pasty butt, but I usually just let nature take its course with chicks that arent shipped chicks.

There will be no such thing as checking without upsetting the hen... The hen is always gonna make a fuss about it.

Id wait at least a month to let them into the main flock

My broody stake their chicks out after a few days. I allow them to hatch with the flock. No problems there. Let natur take care of them not to soon. My last broody hatched a day or so early they are just fine.

Thanks! I just went out and there is a little black and white chick out! There's also a chick that just has the egg membrane to get out of, I can see his beak sticking out already!

You don't need to do anything but watch, momma hens know what they are doing, and mine when they leave the nest take their babies out with the flock, just have chick starter for momma and babies as momma doesn't need layer feed until she's laying again, it will help momma out after brooding that long.
Congrats on the chicks that are out, mom will usually leave the nest with the chicks that hatch after about 24 hours, check any remaining eggs after she leaves the nest as, I found a couple that had gotten a little cool so were later hatching, tossed em in the incubator and they hated otu a full 2 days after the siblings, you prep a small warm place for them if that happens as it will take some work to get them integrat4ed with the other chicks and momma

All babies are out!!!!!! There are 9 of them. Momma won't stop talking to them. They are up in a raised coop and I'm thinking that they are not able to go up and down the ramp. Should I make a bed of straw on the ground and move them all down there? Or try to make a ramp they can walk up and down on? For now I moved the food and water up there. Momma took them to the food and most of them ate some. Then they got cold and got under her. I'll be sure to take pics when they are out again!

All babies are out!!!!!! There are 9 of them. Momma won't stop talking to them. They are up in a raised coop and I'm thinking that they are not able to go up and down the ramp. Should I make a bed of straw on the ground and move them all down there? Or try to make a ramp they can walk up and down on? For now I moved the food and water up there. Momma took them to the food and most of them ate some. Then they got cold and got under her. I'll be sure to take pics when they are out again!

now is the time to get them down to a safe place as she's done hatching, congrats on all the new babies

Back
Top Bottom