Eggs hatching-when to take chicks out??

Can you see his beak? If he hasn't made progress by mid to late afternoon, you can enlarge his pip a bit, and take a look around to see what you see. Before you touch him, do a thread search on assisted hatching. Some folks say that assisting with hatch goes against the "survival of the fittest" and breeding for a strong flock rationale. So, it depends on what your paradigm is. IMO, by choosing to artificially hatch, we're setting up a hatch that may not have the best of conditions. So, I will assist when it's evident that not to do so will result in a dead chick.
Yes I can. I can see his whole body! He absorbed his yolk and needed help, I enlarged his pip, started his zip gave him a few hours, then he got his legs out but couldn't get his bum so I waited to make sure yolk was absorbed and then carefully and slowly helped him out of it! He is now resting and flopping around the incubator, and will be joining his brooder mates once he is dry.

celebrate.gif

Can you see his beak? If he hasn't made progress by mid to late afternoon, you can enlarge his pip a bit, and take a look around to see what you see. Before you touch him, do a thread search on assisted hatching. Some folks say that assisting with hatch goes against the "survival of the fittest" and breeding for a strong flock rationale. So, it depends on what your paradigm is. IMO, by choosing to artificially hatch, we're setting up a hatch that may not have the best of conditions. So, I will assist when it's evident that not to do so will result in a dead chick.
x2

Yes I can. I can see his whole body! He absorbed his yolk and needed help, I enlarged his pip, started his zip gave him a few hours, then he got his legs out but couldn't get his bum so I waited to make sure yolk was absorbed and then carefully and slowly helped him out of it! He is now resting and flopping around the incubator, and will be joining his brooder mates once he is dry.
ya.gif

Congrats!!!!
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
This is our first time ever hatching with an incubator....with a lot of the same questions. You'll have to give the last little chickie a hockey name!LOL
I can now see why people get addicted to hatching out chicks. Boogie is number 5 chick...two more in waiting.... Darn you chicken Math!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom