Eggs hatching

bloominchicken

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Newman Lake, WA
One of my hens has been setting on 2 eggs and day 20 is here. I know one of the eggs is viable for sure. Will the other hens mess with the baby chick once it arrives. Or will momma hen protect it. Should I move them to better location. She is in the favorite laying spot of all the hens and she will periodically move off her eggs when another hen tries to sit in box with her. Am worried that other hens may peck new one...

i don't know what to tell you. i had two silkies sit on eggs for 21 days, only to try to peck to death the first chick that hatched. You will just have to watch and see.

i would suggest though, that you move the momma hen and eggs to a secure place where no other hens can get to them.

Yup, first of the 2 eggs hatched this morning and the other hens seem very curious. Do you always feel pecking and hear peeping inside the shell? I am wondering if the other egg is viable. Tomorrow will be day 21. The egg that hatched today we noticed peeping and pecking on day 20...The second egg nothing. Do you think the hen will reject chick if I move her now? I guess I could rig up some wire on the inside of the coop so others couldn't get to them, but that would prevent hen from getting outside. Not that she seems interested in getting of her nest. I know I have lots of questions but this is the first naturally incubated chick I have had, and I don't want to lose that sweet little chick!

Back
Top Bottom