1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs have been out for 11 days. Are they still viable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Family Affair, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Hi everyone. I am new to raising chickens and I ordered araucana chicken eggs that were up to 3 days old when they were shipped to me. After 8 days in transit they finally arrived to me. That means the eggs are up to 11 days old now. Can these eggs still be viable?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Might be. No harm in trying to hatch them.

Good Luck!

3. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree.

Personally, I wouldn't even bat an eye at 11 days, some birds save clutches of eggs for weeks before "incubating".

Besides, what's the harm in incubating an egg that you probably wouldn't eat anyways?

4. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

Set the eggs.

Before 14 days is preferable, before 10 is better....

BUT

Folks hatch chicks from REFRIGERATED fertile GROCERY store eggs, all the time!!

I say

SET ALL THE EGGS!

5. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    You'll want to rest them for about 24hr before incubating. I've heard up to 2 weeks they're good, so even if you rest for 24hr they should hopefully still be viable. Best of luck!!

6. Thanks. I set the eggs after letting then rest for 24 hours. Yesterday made 7 days in the incubator and I see definite growth inside some eggs. I'm hoping for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by