1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs have odd smell and taste

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grammarwitch, Dec 30, 2011.

1. grammarwitch

grammarwitch New Egg

May 6, 2011
    I have not noticed this often, but once in a while--like this morning's poached eggs--our eggs will have an odd smell and taste. They smell exactly like the smell you get when you scald a chicken to pluck it. (I've only done that once, but it was memorable.) I guess you'd describe it as gamey. Am I just smelling the chicken-ness of the egg, or should I be concerned? It's tolerable but not exactly pleasant. Thanks!

2. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I know what you mean. I've smelled that "chicken" smell with my eggs once in awhile also. I imagine, since you have that memorable smell, it probably stands out even more to you.

I just felt it was because of the freshness of them. I ate them and din't have any problems.

3. grammarwitch

grammarwitch New Egg

May 6, 2011
    That is comforting to know. Thanks!

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't eat poached eggs, but have never smelled anything funny in mine. What are you feeding them? EX. to much garlic and they will have a residual smell, same with fish meal.

I wish you unstinky eggs,

Rancher

5. grammarwitch

grammarwitch New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Thank you--I wish you the same!

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Unless the egg has lain around and bacteria have entered the shell the likely cause for odd smells will always be what the chicken has eaten.

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Just out of curiosity - have you recently dewormed or given your chickens any antibiotics? Treated them with anything?

8. ShooterG22

ShooterG22 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    My brother gave his hens some left over salad that had a little dressing on it. Their eggs tasted nasty for days just from the bit of seasoning that was in the oil dressing. Not sure if you've been feeding scraps but always think first about ANY seasoning or spices.

9. grammarwitch

grammarwitch New Egg

May 6, 2011
    No scraps recently, no new feed, no dewormer or antibiotics. When I cleaned out their coop the other day, a field mouse leaped out from under the warm bedding and scurried off. If he came back later and they caught him, they would definitely have eaten him. That's a possibility. Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by