Eggs have vanished...help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bassfishrman, Sep 18, 2007.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I have 3 pullets that started laying about 8 weeks ago. They lay an egg probably 6 out of 7 days on average. The weather turned extremely hot here for about ten days. During that 10 days, they only layed about every other day. The weather has been back to normal for 3 weeks and all 3 have quit laying. I haven't gotten one single egg for the last 5 days from any of the 3 pullets.

I thought maybe a snake was getting them, but I have watched the pullets very closely and they haven't been near a nest so I know they haven't layed any eggs. What's going on? Is this normal?

The temp here has been in the mid 80's lately which is normal for Alabama

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    They will slow down on laying as fall approaches, but shouldn't quit altogether. You might have an egg-eater among your chickens.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Sometimes a sudden hot spell can throw them into a molt. Mine are beginning to molt, too, and they don't lay during that time.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree with Becky....they may be moulting...I know mine are! UGH!!

5. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Me to I agree. One of myne is molting and no eggs from her all she does is sleep and run away from me!

6. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    do all hens usually molt at the same time?

How long does it last?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by