Eggs haven't pipped--want some reassurance!

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
Hello all!

I got an incubator in January, and have been trying to hatch my serama eggs since then with many obstacles. My first hatch went semi-okay--my broody hen hatched two chicks, and those two chicks have thrived and grown. The other three eggs, put in the incubator after the broody started taking care of her chicks, were on track to hatch, and one had even pipped, and I came home and the power had gone off. All the eggs died, including the one that had pipped.
sad.png

Second hatch, made it all the way to lockdown with everyone growing and doing great. Power outage for no apparent reason in the middle of the night just a few hours after I put them in lockdown. Waited an extra five or six days to make sure none of them made it, and alas, none did. All of them were fertile and growing perfectly until the power outage.

This time, everything has gone just fine, no power outages or issues at all, and I have three, possible four, eggs that should be ready to hatch. Have the humidity up to 70%, they've been in lockdown since day seventeen (because allegedly serama eggs hatch in nineteen days), and here I am at the end of day twenty without a single pip! I think I've heard peeping, and I think I've seen one of the eggs moving, but I'm not certain. I candled up until day sixteen and saw movement and perfect development.

Now, of course, I can't help but fret. Every time I go to sleep or leave the house, I think "Oh, they'll have pipped when I get back/wake up!" and then they haven't.
sad.png

I could use some reassurance here! I'll probably wake up in the morning to a pip now that I've worried myself into posting, but I just want some people to sympathize and remind me that this doesn't mean my chicks aren't going to hatch, and they still have a chance!

hugs.gif
hugs.gif

They will come out soon
smile.png
Mine from you were out at 20-21 days, and the last one (that I helped, and shouldn't have) was day 22 I think.
The biggest one is doing great, and was indignant when I put it in with the new Java chicks... "I am TWO weeks old, let me back in with the big guys!"
The smaller one, that wasn't growing much, sadly, died yesterday. I hope it enjoyed the life it had.
Happy hatching!
Laurie
(the Javas were all out at 20 days, and the others in this hatch are at 21-22 days)

Quote:
Thanks, that's very reassuring, as obviously mine have the same parents as yours and I assume would have around the same period for hatching.
smile.png

I'm so sorry to hear about the little one! It sounds like it may have been one of those sad failure to thrive cases... Very unfortunate, definitely, and I'm sorry you've had to lose two chicks out of the three you hatched. So sad. I'm glad the one is doing well, though! I'd love to see a picture of it in with the Javas.
big_smile.png

new camera batteries tomorrow! That is one hungry, and fussy, camera! The batteries have enough juice for the flashlight but not for the camera.
'she' is the same size as the baby Javas
smile.png

Well, it's morning now, and while I heard them peeping and maybe moving around last night, still not a single pip!
barnie.gif
Trying to be patient is so hard sometimes!

Just a note...I don't know if Seramas need more humidity than other breeds, but 70% humidity from day 17 is a little high IMO. If they were mine, I would back the humidity back down to about 55% for the remaining time.

Now, I don't know anything about hatching Seramas, but all the others that I've hatched didn't do well with a very high humidity the last 3 days. Again...JMHO!!
smile.png

I was thinking the same thing on the humidity thing. But just to give some background to my thinking, I have seen everything from don't even up the humidity to a well experiences hatcher saying never ever allow it to go about 60%. And I hear success and failure concerning all of them.

Back
Top Bottom