1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EGGS! I NEED EGGS! Questions re 1588 Genesis...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IggiMom, May 13, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am all excited. My new Hovabator is HERE! So of course I am wanting to put something in it.[​IMG]

Now I have two incubators, the LG and the Hovabator.

Questions: 1) Should I set up the Genesis a couple days ahead of the hatch, as I would the LG?

2) Should I get a new thermometer and hygrometer just to be on the safe side?

Should I put something in it like water jar, as I do the LG, to be like 'eggs' in order to help the temperature to be stable?

Thanks![​IMG]

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Mine was at temp in less than an hour and hasn't budged from that temp in months....
    I have a therm/hygrometer in mine but only use the hygro part of it. I don't look at the temp at all because I don't need too LOL!
    Congrats on your bator. You will love it....
    [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I just got my 1588 last friday and my second one yesterday. Just plug it in and let it run fo 24 hours, then your ready to set your eggs. The temps go right up to 99.5-100 and stay there. They dont budge at all, even with the turner in, the temps stay where they are supposed to be. I love them and I have only had them about 5 days.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    congrats![​IMG]

i offer a barnyard mix of a dozen eggs for only $9.00 that includes shipping. the rooster is a buff orpington, the hens are leghorns, bantams, ee's, california whites, partridge cochin & who knows what else. let me know if you are interested. that would be great for a test hatch [​IMG]

5. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    How about you click my link down there [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I love mine and am going on my 3rd hatch. Get the thermometer and hygrometer (digital combo wal mart 6.00) It made a big difference for me.

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quote:I did go to your link. I was very happy to vote for you; I think your makeup is far and away the best of the ones I looked at. Very quiet and pretty.

My two guesses are 308 and 311.

One thing. I HOPE I voted. I left a comment; did that constitute a vote? If I need to do something else, PM me.

I am a little technically challenged. My username for ytube is FaerieSpun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by