Eggs in carton, Pointy side up? or down?

CoffeeCow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Washington, NC
Hey everyone, I posted this in the "how many eggs did you get today, but I think it warrants its own post as I haven't really got an answer.

I'm doing pretty good so far.
Got the 1st egg on 10/30

and heres how its gone since:

10/30 1 green egg
10/31 1 brown egg
11/01 1 green and 1 brown
11/02 1 brown
11/03 1 green
11/04 2 brown
11/05 1 brown. 1 green, and 1 BLUE!
11/06 haven't collected yet

I think i have at least 4 out of 8 pullets laying now. the green ones have been small size, and the browns and the blue are medium.
They will get larger right?

also, another noob question.. when you put them in the carton in the fridge.. pointy side down? or up? or does it matter?

Aah!! what one? lol!
barnie.gif

he.gif

Last edited:
LOL... the correct answer (for multiple reasons) is pointy side down. This (and NOT washing them) is an absolute must for hatching eggs... The "fat" end is where the air sack is located. Washing the egg removes a protective film that slows down moisture evaporation... As far as "just for selling 'em" goes. Fatty side up gives better presentation and will minimize wreckage.

I think it depends on their intended use. If they're just for you for eating, then I say it doesn't matter one way or the other. But HorizonSon has brought up excellent points about eggs that you plan to sell or hatch.

Quote:
Pointy side down because the air sac should be in the round end and will gravitate to the top. If you're storing eggs for consumption most people go pointy side up--not sure why, maybe because that's how we're used to seeing them from grocery store eggs, but for hatching it's definitely pointy side down.

Thanks HorizonSon, that answer is just about perfect
smile.png

I just filled up my 1st dozen
smile.png

... but I still have 2 storebought eggs in there... I don't really wanna eat them now lol

Back
Top Bottom